JUST A REMINDER THAT I NO LONGER POST ON THIS BLOG.

PLEASE VISIT ME HERE

Monday, May 3, 2010


Dark, negative and unsettling circumstances beyond control have taken precedence over my family’s life for the past few weeks and I have been so very hungry for a glimmer of hope. I found it today in my routine walk-sometimes I call these daily excursions my ‘salvation hikes’-such was today.

Hence the absolute power of nature-my birds were back! I have been looking –actually listening-for them lately, wondering if they, too, would arrive early for spring. And they had! The unmistakable " bubbling delirium of ecstatic music that flows from the gifted throat like sparkling champagne," "a mad, reckless song-fantasia, an outbreak of pent-up, irrepressible glee," and "a tinkle of fairy music, like the strains of an old Greek harp." 
My Bobolinks! Bold as brass, these yellow headed, black and white birds scolded my dogs for coming too close as they perched low in the grasses. They’ve earned this sense of entitlement I suppose, having made one of the longest migrations in the Western Hemisphere—a round trip of approximately 20,000-km  from Brazil, Paraguay, and northern Argentina!
For me, the arrival of these birds have symbolized a turn for the better and reinforced my faith in optimism, which spring is, is it not? Now for eternal optimism… 

 May (Bob)
oil on canvas
6x6in, 2010

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you are finding hope. Birds are great! Except when they are hormone-crazed robins, knocking themselves unconscious on my windows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine there are a ton of them here and I've never had that happen--wonder why? Maybe the Canadians are more cautious, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't nature great in that the simplest of gifts can make us feel better, change our mood, and put us in another place. It sounds as though you are in a difficult time right now, and spring should help in feeling more positive. I'm glad the Bobs have arrived to do that for you. I listened to their song on line, and your description of the song really fits! I liked the Bob painting, the darks and yellows work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind and caring words Catherine.
    re the painting, I still need to refine it -is actually part of a diptych-the other portion incorporates pieces of their habitat (here in Canada) embedded and encased with beeswax in the encaustic technique .

    ReplyDelete