JUST A REMINDER THAT I NO LONGER POST ON THIS BLOG.

PLEASE VISIT ME HERE

Sunday, March 14, 2010

To me, Spring is flown in via Robins and every year I have painted them to honour the new season. Today when I opened the door I first heard- then saw-my friends and was thrilled! Five generations (at least I like to think that they are all related) come to nest at the same selected locations on our property. Two come back to their nests in the grapevine balls hanging on my veranda. Throughout the years students, visitors, and I have enjoyed getting ‘up close and personal’ while they diligently nest and bring up the babies! So, as beautiful as they are, if you see a nest in a tree or fastened to twigs or grasses, please refrain from picking them up as birds often return to them year after year.

 March, Little Voices in the Air
oil on canvas
30x36in, 2008
SOLD



 The painting below is rendered more decorative than I usually like to work. I had specifically painted it for my area at the Jordan Art Gallery to emphasize the thematic change of season. For those that haven’t visited our gallery, each of the owners have a large area and change work on an on-going basis. Right now I am in the process of removing winter paintings and replacing them with more colourful landscapes depicting the new growth on the Niagara Escarpment…which means only one thing…I’ll just have to get out and paint:-D
March, Little Voices in the Air
acrylic on canvas
24x36in, 2009
available

3 comments:

  1. I heard somewhere, that spring moves north at the rate of 30 miles per day. When it is here to stay, I'll let you know. Over the weekend I saw robins, and even 2 cranes.
    I enjoy your paintings here, and especially your cloudscape from Saturday. It seems as if we were inspired by similar subjects over the weekend. Keep up the honest and hard work, I hope to see more soon.

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for visiting Kyle--AND for commenting on my work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jan! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog! I see that you enjoy the birds, too. The robins are crazed here in Washington. They fly into windows and when their heads stop spinning, they fly lopsidedly and do it again! Concussion must be common among robins.

    Beautiful trees in your painting here! You must be relieved to feel the beginnings of the thaw!

    I am a big fan of the Group of Seven and saw a show of Emily Carr's paintings in Victoria a few years back. Keep up the good work! Katherine

    ReplyDelete