JUST A REMINDER THAT I NO LONGER POST ON THIS BLOG.

PLEASE VISIT ME HERE

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Even though I've  been working on a large commission for the last week,  I find getting out and working on these small paintings integral to my practice. They not only give me 'immediate gratification' because it is something I can accomplish in a short time, but  they contribute to my larger studio work. Mainly to hone my observation skills but also allowing  me an objective approach when revisiting larger works in progress.

March, Remains of the Day
oil on canvas
12x12in, 2010
available

Having said that, this was my first night painting of the season and a little daunting. I didn't go out until 6PM and for once left the dogs at home. I felt a little guilty but the thought of chasing after them in the dark if they found a deer or who who knows what, did not appeal to me in the least. The mud was like quick sand, and by the time I finished working my feet almost came out of my wellies!:-) Although it was warm during the day it did get fairly chilly but I am glad I ventured out and next time will be easier.

3 comments:

  1. You braved the wellie-sucking mud to paint a nocturne! I think that earns you extra medals (or would that be crowns?) in plein air heaven. :o)I like how you kept the colors quiet and the values close in this painting. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katherine..looking at your saturated paintings make my mouth water--I worked in soft pastel for many years and still do take them out with me for small studies...your pastel works are very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You took me there, talking about chasing the dogs through heaven knows what. I was shocked when we moved to the Prairies to encounter the power of mud. It seemed intent on sucking me down into the earth. Coast mud just sends you slippy sliding.I love this series, the colours are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete