JUST A REMINDER THAT I NO LONGER POST ON THIS BLOG.

PLEASE VISIT ME HERE

Sunday, February 28, 2010


 I have been thinking about summer and skies, longing for colour and warmth.

June, Remains of the Day
oil on canvas
24x24in, SOLD

This as an early painting from my 'Remains of the Day' series. It is exhilarating to paint these plein air works as you are literally working 'blind' as the sun quickly descends beyond the horizon.

I usually work on a ground of alizarine crimson and start building the painting an hour or two before the actual 'event' occurs. Just as the sky vibrates it's colours and reflections of the days' culmination, I am doing so with paint. Then, with only 10 minutes at most, I follow the sun with my brush, not seeing but 'feeling' my way.

Gathering up my gear in the dark isn't so much fun..at that time all of the man-eating bugs are out in full force and keeping an eye out for skunks is no easy task as you're stumbling home with wet canvas and gear in tow. I'm always excited to see my work once back the studio --it's a mad rush to open the door, get the lights on and see what's happened on the canvas!

No comments:

Post a Comment